Monday, April 1, 2013

Does it work?

Yes it does. For us life has been about survival. However, we have noticed that survival has become easier and even enjoyable in the last couple of weeks and we place that firmly on Hazel's shoulders.

I know people are probably like "how can it happen so quickly?!" Well, let me tell you what I see.

I see a little boy who walks next to his dog, calmly and (mostly) quietly. I see a little boy who can more easily transition away from a highly preferred activity (ie. playing with trains in Toys R Us) by clipping into his dogs pack and then move along to the next thing.

I see a little boy who sleeps sounder and longer with his dog on his bed with him. There have been fewer "potty breaks" overnight for JJ since Hazel began sleeping on his bed. I see a little boy who talks more, expresses himself more and spontaneously tells me he loves me. When he does drop down while walking next to Hazel, he tells us what he needs, it's not a meltdown anymore, it's a conversation!

I don't know how it can happen so quickly. I just know that it has. Hazel's constant presence in JJ's life seems to make a big difference for him now. This spring break has been the most painless break from school that we have ever had! I have enjoyed having my children around. The few excursions (again because we couldn't tether JJ after his surgery) we took, were smooth and we all enjoyed our time together.

Eating in a restaurant is a joy with JJ now. It's no longer the world of drive thru (although trying to find a place open yesterday with milkshakes was almost a nightmare but JJ endured it very well!) and we can eat out as a family or even just me and the boys now.

So has Hazel changed our lives? Absofreakinglutely!


No comments:

Post a Comment