Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Passing it on

We've been scheduling as many of our followup appointments as we can before we are supposed to leave Colorado, we're to report to Ft. Knox in Kentucky in just over one month from now. So, to put it mildly, the pressure is on to get things in order and our entire household is feeling a little stressed about the move, even if they don't understand what is coming.

Last week we met with the boys pediatrican for a quick appointment to get some paperwork filled out and to have him make a phone call on our behalf to Ft. Knox for housing purposes (long story to that one).

JJ has been handling Dr. appointments so much better with Hazel.
She loves her boy
Yesterday Elliott had an appointment in Denver with his developmental pediatrician. We were in the waiting room when I was approached by a mom who wanted to ask me about Hazel. Her name was Betsy and her daughter (who is on the spectrum) was with her waiting for a doctor as well. Betsy was asking about Hazel's job, where she came from and why we chose ASDA over other service dog organizations. We spoke about our reasons for choosing ASDA (that they train solely for Autism and don't use career change dogs from other service needs etc) and we spoke about the process, the training, and she was surprised to know that Hazel goes everywhere with JJ.

Apparently, last year Betsy had been looking into a service dog organization and backed off when they told her that the dog would have limited public access and that their dogs are downgraded to autism dogs when they fail out of other service dog programs. She was disheartened and as we were talking I could almost see her body relaxing at the idea of a service dog for her daughter. Since JJ was with us, I showed her how the tether system worked and how JJ sits and relaxes with Hazel, which he never would have done before.

Betsy wrote down ASDA's information and I told her they were on FB and their website and I truly hope that she applies.

On Sunday, Hazel and I were blessed to be part of an Autism seminar at our church. I had an opportunity to share with members of our church about Hazel and what she does for JJ and for our family. At one point in the seminar I made a comment that every child on the spectrum needs a Hazel but more than that every family with a child on the spectrum needs a Hazel.

Today I found out that our friend's son, here on Ft. Carson, was approved by ASDA for a service dog!! I'll admit I am totally bummed that we won't be here to be a part of the family's fundraising efforts and that we won't meet whichever dog he will receive in the future, but I met this mom through one of Elliott's therapists.

If passing along a lifeline like a service dog to another family is something I can do, I will do it. I'm praying that Betsy applies and that she and her family will experience the great blessing of one of these dogs and I cannot wait to hear stories from my friend about her son and his best friend when that happens too.

Every child needs a Hazel. I don't ever want to return to life before she came to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment