Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Portland - Day 3

Ever have those moments where a lightbulb kinda switches on and things start making a little more sense? That was day 3 of training for me.

I had an interesting encounter at breakfast in the hotel (Hazel was laying beside my table watching me as I moved around the breakfast room getting my meal together).  As I walked by two gentleman sitting at their table I heard one remark to the other "that poor dog". I didn't respond but I was taken aback. Why would someone pity Hazel? I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Hazel gets to go everywhere with her family. She has plenty of time out of pack that she can play and snooze and chew toys and all of that fun stuff. I was really surprised that someone would pity a dog who gets so much time and affection from those who love her. I let it go but mentioned it to Kati when we met for coffee and she commented "I wonder what their dogs are doing today" and I chuckled. I'm all for animal rights, I don't believe in being cruel to any animal but let me assure you that Hazel is in no way, unloved or mistreated :)

We started the day with coffee (shocker, I know!) and Hazel was with me the entire day. There was a calm with her that helped me realize that this was doable. It was going to work and be great! I was calm, and felt like she had been a part of my life forever.

During training on Day 3 we did more shopping (another shocker!) and we even stopped in briefly at a movie theater so I could see different ways of sitting with her in smallish spaces (very useful for on the airplane, let me tell you!) and again, she did great. It was a grey, rainy day (another shocker for Portland right?) and so we tried to stay inside as much as possible.

Kati and I spent some time playing at Big Al's (an indoor amusement/bowling place) and Hazel was great. I killed Kati a couple times in PacMan (who knew you weren't supposed to run over the other pacman!?) and  ultimately I think she won. We went across the street to tour a movie theater complex that has 21 and over theaters where you can order food and drinks from the bar. Looks like fun and I'm hoping Colorado gets that soon!!

Ultimately we ended the day with a trip to a grocery store, sounds odd but we did alot of work on down stays and me walking away from Hazel and her staying in place. We worked on her leaving things that have fallen on the floor and in general just toured and worked on various skills that she will use pretty much every time we step out of the house.

The trip ended with a visit with one of the puppy raisers that I had connected with over the last year or so who is a military wife and mom. I was excited to meet her. We spent an hour or so just chatted and Hazel just laid under the table like nothing exciting was happening. I even got to meet the third "L" class pup, Levi. He is currently with this puppy raiser and man, is he ever a fluffball!! Seriously he is adorable!

It was a good day but the biggest thing that happened for me was I began to understand Hazel's role in our family and in our life. I had always assumed that Hazel would come home and JJ and she would be best friends and it would be the 2 of them forever. Yes, I can be a bit naive at times. Ultimately Hazel is my daughter and JJ is her brother. I am mom and while JJ and Hazel will bond over the years and truly enjoy each others company and become best friends, I will always be mom. I told my husband that in Hazel's mind, we are now a matriarchal family because Momma is top dog. Hazel and I became a team on Day 3. I really began to understand it. I've had a dog in my house for the last 15 years but this was the first time that I was a team with a dog. The mental shift was huge but necessary and it has made the biggest difference in my relationship with Hazel. She's not just our dog, she's my child and I will protect her like I protect JJ and Elliott but I expect the same from her that I expect from my children too.

Hazel and I both needed some rest after a long and busy day.



No comments:

Post a Comment