Thursday, March 14, 2013

Portland - Day 4

Day 4 was definitely an interesting day!

The biggest surprise was that it was sunny!!! YAY!

We spent the morning at the waterfront in Portland working on distraction training. Miss Hazel seems to have a real love affair with birds, squirrels, bunnies etc so the ducks and geese at the waterfront were good training for me and for her.

Lunch was fun because I finally got to meet Laurel, the program administrator for ASDA. She would not be able to make it to Hazel's graduation dinner on Friday night so she and Kati made plans for a lunch date. It was really neat to sit down with both of them and have lunch while listen to them plan things for ASDA and talk about JJ and our family. I had a wonderful time and we even got to bring one of the "I" class dogs with us for the afternoon! Laurel was heading out for the weekend and Ivy was going to stay with Kati while Laurel was away.

So Ivy tagged along with us for the afternoon and Hazel and Ivy got to play ball together. It did seem more like Hazel was teaching Ivy to play ball because Ivy didn't seem all that interested to be honest. Ivy is a beautiful English Cream Retriever and is from the same breeder that Hazel came from.

Day 4 evening I went back to Gubanc's (where Kati and I went for lunch on Day 1) to get the chicken and dumplings that I had tried to order on Day 1 (couldn't because it was a dinner item - don't ask me why they gave out dinner menus at lunch but whatever). Hazel laid under the booth without making a move the entire time we were there. As I was getting ready to leave and was walking by some booths that were across from mine, I heard a man remark to his waitress "I had no idea a dog was in here" the waitress responded with "I didn't know either!!". I didn't say anything but in the back of my head I applauded Hazel and thought 'that is the way it is supposed to be'.

I was so proud of Hazel and honestly proud of myself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment