Monday, March 11, 2013

Portland - the Weekend and Day 1

What a whirlwind! The flights to Oregon were wonderful and as an added blessing I got to spend time with my best friend Natasha and her husband.

Sunday morning I wasn't in training yet but did have some unexpected interaction with Autism Service Dogs of America (ASDA)!

While sitting with my friends at breakfast in the hotel, I happened to have a chance to meet two of the "L" class pups, Lucie and Leah. They are beautiful Labradoodles who are about 4 months of age. They were with their puppy raisers who were taking them to California for the next year for training. It was so funny to meet the puppy raisers although I shouldn't have been surprised to meet an ASDA dog or two while in Portland!

Saturday evening again we crossed paths with Leah and Lucie while we had dinner at Oswego Grill! Even at 4 months of age, these two girls were pretty amazing with focusing on what they were supposed to be doing.

Day One officially began on Monday morning.

I was up early, full of nervous energy and waited, not so patiently, for Kati and Hazel to arrive. Once they did and Kati and I chatted for just a few minutes, I finally got a chance to touch this furry animal that we have been waiting on for so long. She was just beautiful! A wonderful dog for sure. Hazel is a 2.5 year old Golden Retriever. She is a tall girl, and weighs about 75lbs. She's gentle, affectionate and loves to work.

Kati is the placement and training director for ASDA. She handled Hazel for the first day and showed me the basics. I was really grateful that I didn't have to go hands on the first day, it was far more overwhelming than I ever could have imagined! Hazel was amazing to watch. Kati and I went for coffee (the way we began every morning of the week haha) and walked around the mall a bit. We went for lunch at a restaurant called Gubanc's, Hazel just laid under the table with her head on Kati's feet for the entire meal. No major movements (little adjustments here and there for comfort). Kati even went to the bathroom and left Hazel behind at the table. I was nervous about how Hazel would respond but it was as if Kati had never left. To say I was impressed is a massive understatement! Kati showed me the basic commands (some expected, some very new) and how to properly praise or correct her.

After lunch we went shopping! Always a good time right? We went to a little pet store close to the restaurant and picked up some chew bones for Hazel, the tether for JJ (more on that later) and to check out the collars (because every girl needs new pretties right?). Kati showed me different items that Hazel will need us to provide (supplements, health care stuff etc) and explained what types of bones Hazel should and shouldn't have.

After shopping it was Hazel's favorite time of day. BALL PLAY! I had bought her a chuckit toy since Kati told me how much Hazel loves playing fetch. Kati was right, Hazel LOVES playing fetch! We spent a while out on the field playing with Hazel.

We finished in the late afternoon  and went back to my hotel. Kati and Hazel left for the evening. I had assumed that Hazel would stay with me from the first night on and I was never more happy to be wrong. Starting the next day I would be the one to handle Hazel and she would stay with me starting that night.
There is so much to take in. You want to jump in with both feet yet are completely freaked out at the same time! It was probably one of the strangest evenings I have ever had.

I walked over to Applebee's for dinner and was completely exhausted. I was overloaded with information and the enormity of what was about to happen just crashed in around me. I had a nice, quiet dinner and while eating I spent some time writing down the events of the day. I was overwhelmed and worried about what the rest of the week would look like. I needed time to process all the questions running through my head.

Could I do this? Would I be the one to screw up all her training? Would she bond with me like she had with her puppy raisers? I was not feeling confident in myself at all. I fell asleep praying that I would not let JJ or Hazel down.
She really loves fetch! 





No comments:

Post a Comment