Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thank you

Today was Kati's last day with us. I'll post about it tomorrow I promise, but tonight I have something I need to post before I lose the emotions that I have right now.

Hugging Kati as she was leaving our house, I cried (as I knew I would) and my last words during that hug were, "thank you for her".

After Kati left, and we got the boys in bed it hit me. Kati was the one who ultimately delivered Hazel to me, she's the one that oversaw her training and her raising to become the amazing dog that she is but there are so many people who put their paws in to raise this girl to be our girl; to be JJs best friend, to give us hope for his future.

So here's to all of you. I know many of you but I don't know all who had a hand in Hazel's life. So, forgive me if I miss anyone.

Thank you Jan and Kevin for raising this puppy and teaching her the basics of being a dog in a human world, and how to fit in and behave in a way that will help a child with autism. Thank you for your patience with the puppy who I bet was a trial at times and a handful at other times.

Talia and Kellan, thank you for partnering with Jan and Kevin to help Hazel grow into the amazing dog that she is.

Thank you Beth and family for giving her the social/school training. For letting her swim and keeping her oh so very pretty! Thank you again for loving her and keeping her on the straight and narrow haha! Thank you for always posting pictures of the dogs you have, I know I really appreciated it and I'm sure other families will too!

Thank you Lindsay for Hazel's final training. For teaching her the advanced skills and keeping me well stocked with pictures of our girl, since we knew who was coming for JJ when you had her.  Thank you for sharing stories about Hazel and for loving on her.

There are a couple more, Katelyn and Hannah that were part of Hazel's puppy raiser team but I didn't get to meet them while in OR. Thank you as well!

Laurel, while I know you weren't a puppy raiser for Hazel directly, I cannot thank you enough for all you do for ASDA. Thank you for the chats while we were fundraising, for always encouraging us during that stressful time and for keeping us in letters when the school district wanted them hahaha!!

Kati, I have no words. Truly I don't. Thank you is about all I can come up with but there is a depth to those words that another mom who has suddenly been tossed a life line for her child will understand. Thank you.

For all of Hazel's puppy raisers the last thing I want to thank you for is probably the hardest thing you do.

Thank you for loving her and then letting her go.

Thank you for teaching her, nurturing her and then (though I'm sure it kills you inside) sending her off into the unknown (to you) to do her job with a child. Thank you. Thank you for trusting us with her, I swear, we will not let you down!

I sit here, with JJ sleeping peacefully in his bed upstairs and Hazel conked out on her bed next to my computer, with tears in my eyes.  Thank you for our girl. Thank you all for the hope you have given our family. Thank you for making us seem more "normal" in the outside world, even if it means a 75lb golden retriever is now a third child in our family.

Thank you for making a moment like this;













possible.

We love you all, and you are forever part of our family.

2 comments:

  1. You are so, so welcome! She is an amazing girl, and we can't wait to hear about all the journeys and ways she and JJ conquer life together. :)
    <3 Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a puppy raiser for ASDA and worked with Hazel for about a month. I never got to meet you, but I wish you the best of luck! And it kills us to give up the dogs, but not as much as you think because we know they are going to amazing families like yours to do what they were meant to do all along. I look forward to reading more on your progress with her!

    ReplyDelete